Ayat: al-Fatiha 1 – al-Baqarah 141
- Read your daily portion of Qur’an – Juz 1
- Listen to Juz 1 – Saad al-Ghamidi (Arabic/English)
The Juz deals with a number of issues related to Guidance, Allah’s Governance on Earth and history of previous Muslim Ummah. Surah al-Baqarah begins with the statement that it is Allah who revealed this book (the Qur’an) for the guidance of those who are conscious of Allah. Only those who seek guidance can benefit from the guidance of this Book. Allah divides mankind into three categories: Believers, Disbelievers or Hypocrites and describes the characteristics of the hypocrite.
Although Nifaq (Hypocrisy) is alluded to, the word Nifaq and Munafiqeen are not mentioned in Surah al-Baqarah by name. Allah chose the Human race to worthy to be His Khalifah on Earth and instructed others to prostrate before Adam. The story of the cow contains great lessons: beware of faltering when faced with Allah’s commands and do not procrastinate or ridicule them because to do so leads to hardness of the heart.
Surah al-Baqarah is the longest Surah of the Qur’an with 286 Ayat, has the longest Ayat of the Qur’an (2:282), the greatest Ayat of the Qur’an (2:255), and reportedly the last Ayat of the Qur’an revealed (2:281).
- The Book of Guidance for those who want to be righteous. The difference between the believers and the non-believers.
- The hypocrites: their sickness, mischief and self-deception.
- Mankind, worship Allah alone. Make no partners in Allah’s divinity. The challenge of the Qur’an. This Book will guide many but many will remain in error. The character of those who shall remain in error.
- The story of the creation of Adam. Allah’s plan and promise to send His guidance from time to time through His prophets.
- Address to Bani Israel to accept this message. Allah’s covenant must be fulfilled.
- Warnings to those who stray from the covenant of God. How some from among the Children of Israel turned away from God’s teachings.
- God’s blessings on the Children of Israel and their transgressions.
- The real recipients of Divine salvation. The hesitation of Bani Israel in sacrificing the cow.
- Some perversions of those who were supposed to follow the law of God.
- Basic principles of God’s Covenant with the Children of Israel.
- Some of them were arrogant to follow the teachings of their prophets, some rejected the Prophets or tried to kill them, some worshipped the calf, disobeyed God’s commands and became too greedy for the life of this world.
- Opposition and enmity towards the Prophets, following devils and magic.
- Reminders to the Believers to follow these examples. Stay firm on your principles. Some among the People of the Book will try to mislead you with false claims and assertions.
- The true guidance of Allah is here. Read the Book of Allah and follow it.
- The great example of Prophet Ibrahim. He and his son built the Ka’bah and prayed for a Prophet to come.
- Prophet Ibrahim submitted to Allah and this is the message that he and his sons gave to their progeny.